Asbestos-containing materials pose a health risk to humans exposed to airborne asbestos particles.
There are two basic classifications of asbestos that determine handling requirements: non-friable and friable.
Non-friable asbestos-containing material
- Any asbestos-containing packing, gaskets, resilient floor tile, asphalt roofing, exterior siding, vehicle brake shoes, and clutch pads.
Friable asbestos (regulated asbestos-containing material)
- Materials such as pipe insulation, ceiling and wall insulation, sprayed-on fireproofing, thermal pipe insulation and boiler coverings, ceiling tiles, and damaged material that was originally non-friable.
- Disposal of friable asbestos: Consult with the Commission’s special waste staff. Friable asbestos must meet special handling and transportation requirements and requires Commission approval for disposal.
Asbestos Disposal Requirements
Before the Commission may dispose of asbestos-containing material:
- An Asbestos Disposal Form must be completed by the customer and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Request approved by the Commission’s special waste staff.
- Delivery must be approved and scheduled. (Note: Weather conditions may impact delivery.)
- Asbestos loads must be delivered prior to 2:30 p.m. on weekdays only.
- Asbestos-containing material must be doubled-bagged in 6 mil bags with label that identifies, “asbestos-containing material”. The material must be packaged in a manner that eliminates hazardous dust exposure. Bags can be purchased from the Landfill scale for $2.50 each or from another vendor.
- Friable asbestos must be placed in drums in addition to being bagged in 6 mil bags as described above.
- Please speak with the Commission’s special waste staff about appropriate packaging requirements before delivery.
Disposal Rates for Special Waste
Analytical testing parameters required for pre-approval.
All rates are subject to change based on quantity, characteristics and delivery.
|Petroleum contaminated soil||$26.00 per ton|
|Petroleum contaminated soil – not usable as daily cover||$37.00 per ton|
|Petroleum contaminated soil – debris > 4” diameter||$37.00 per ton|
|Petroleum contaminated soil – brought in drum||$37.00 per drum|
|Asbestos disposal||$83.00 per ton|
|55-gallon drum (purchase)||$47.00 each|
|Asbestos bags (50 gallon)||$2.50 each|
|Sludge under 10% solids||$76.50 per ton|
|Hydrocarbons under 100 PPM||$76.50 per ton|
|Hydrocarbons over 100 PPM||$95.00 per ton|
Effective July 1, 2023. Rates subject to change.