Asphalt Shingle Recycling
Waste Commission of Scott County implemented the first asphalt shingle recycling program in the state of Iowa in 2004. Since its inception, the Commission has diverted nearly 32 million pounds of shingles from the Scott Area Landfill. Here’s how the program works:
- Roofers and contractors who sign on to the Commission’s shingle recycling program receive reduced disposal costs on loads of clean asphalt shingles. There are several guidelines roofers and contractors must meet in order to receive the reduced tipping fee. The Commission also provides participants with trash bags and signs to post in customers’ yards. Contact the Scott Area Landfill, firstname.lastname@example.org or 563-381-1300 for more information.
- The Scott Area Landfill tests the asphalt shingles for asbestos before grinding.
- Ground shingles are sold to hot/warm mix asphalt companies.
- Hot/warm mix asphalt companies incorporate a percentage of ground, recycled asphalt shingles into their processes.
- This mixture of virgin and recycled asphalt is used to pave roads throughout Iowa!
View the listing of roofers and contractors participating in the Commission’s shingle recycling program.