Waste Commission of Scott County’s Electronic Demanufacturing Facility is Responsible Recycling (R2) certified. It was the first public agency in the world and the first agency of any kind in the state of Iowa to have this certification. As of April 10, 2014, there were approximately 520 facilities globally that hold R2 certification
The R2 Standard sets forth requirements relating to environmental, health, safety, and security aspects of electronics recycling. R2 also requires recyclers to assure that more toxic material streams are managed safely and responsibly by downstream vendors-all the way to final disposition. It sets requirements for recyclers and their downstream vendors regarding the safe export of toxic materials to certain countries. All of these practices are verified by an independent auditor.
Being certified verifies that the Electronic Demanufacturing Facility:
- Cares about the environment here in the U.S., and globally.
- Takes environmental responsibilities seriously.Creates a system of accountability for our electronic equipment, all the way to final disposition.
- Sees data security as a top priority.
- Adheres to the highest industry standards and best practices.
- Is an industry leader in operations, safety, and environmental performance.
To learn more about the R2 Certification, visit R2 Solutions, www.r2solutions.org